It is a concept created by us to create litter free zones. In Kirtipur, we have implemented a 500 m stretch of road, from Sunderbazar-Dhokashi to Salik as a “litter free.” This pilot program was established in cooperation with local grassroots organizations such as women’s and youth groups and the businesses within the litter free zone. We have had great success with this initial SAFA tole prototype and we hope to expand this program into other areas of Kirtipur and beyond.
How does it work?
- Each of the 25 businesses along the safa tole has two waste bins: one for wet waste and the other for dry waste
- During business hours, the owners put the bins out for everyone to use, which discourages throwing waste on the ground
- When the business is closed, the waste bins are brought inside to keep animals away
- Additionally, we employ an individual to regularly collect the waste and sweep the street
Why participate in a safa tole?
- It's a green way to manage waste
- Encourage others to be mindful of their waste
- Clean streets can attract more customers for your business
- It promotes a healthy community
- It's easy
How to become a member?
- Contact BW2V
- Organize and motivate businesses around you to participate
- Pay a small membership fee of 500 NRs per month to get your two bins (for wet and dry waste), regular waste collection, and a potted flower!